Monday, July 7, 2008

I Was Runnin'

So, for some of you that may not know....I am planning on running in a Half Marathon this August, and I have been training for the last 7 weeks to get my butt in shape so that I don't die half way through the race! Thanks to Trish for talking me into doing this with her (I hope she is still planning on doing it). I am actually really glad that she suggested it to me, because it has given me a reason and motivation to get into shape.

It has been a long 7 weeks, but I am totally seeing improvement in my body and my stamina. Now, I don't want to fool any of you into thinking that I can run straight the whole time without walking at all, so I will be totally honest with you. When I am running, I usually run for about a mile or two, then I walk for a minute, then run again for a mile or two. I could probably keep going without walking, but the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I have a walking break in a mile or so.

This last April, before I started training, I ran a 5K for my school's fund raiser and I was dragging!! Matt ran it with me, and he beat me by a good 10 minutes. I finished the race, huffing and puffing, at 43 minutes. Last weekend I ran a 5K in 31 minutes. I was very impressed with myself that I had improved so much in the last 3 months!

Yesterday I ran the longest distance that I have ever done!! I ran 7 miles, and I was still able to walk afterward! It was long and boring, but with the help of my trusty IPOD, I was rocking out to all my favorite artists for a little over an hour. I didn't run it very fast, and I averaged about 11 & 1/2 minutes a mile, but I was impressed with myself that I could actually run for 7 straight miles!!

6 comments:

Stephers said...

That is so awesome, I am excited for you! You are an inspiration! I know by the time the race comes around you will be running the whole time :)
GOOD LUCK!

The Q's said...

Mandy- that is amazing!! I would never even dare to try that so I am excited for you! You will do great, good luck!

Trish said...

Mandy,I am so proud of you. I have TOTALLY slacked on running. I will get my butt back up and running in the morning I PROMISE!!!

Sam and Rachelle said...

Yay!! Mandy!! I bet your butt was like rock-hard that entire following week!!

Lance and Alayna said...

Wow! I haven't been blogin' for awhile, so this was a good catch-up session. That is SO awesome that you are doing a half marathon!! Good for you! It looks like you guys are having TONS of fun this summer. I am totally jealous! When is the 1/2 marathon? Happy running!

Deidra said...

Wow, that's really impressive! I don't know if I could ever do that, or have the motivation to train for it. That's awesome!